Sign In / Sign Out
Navigation for Entire University
- ASU Home
- My ASU
- Colleges and Schools
- Map and Locations
The joint 4+1 Accelerated M.A. Program in Politics and Global Studies is an accelerated degree program designed to enable highly qualified undergraduate majors in Political Science or Global Studies to earn both a Bachelor of Arts/Science degree and a Master of Arts in Political Science degree in five years.
*At this time, this 4+1 program is not designed to connect to the MA in Global Management or accommodate online-only undergraduate students. All graduate courses are held in-person on the Tempe campus.
Students accepted into the 4+1 program may apply 3 credits of 400-level coursework and 6 credits of 500-level coursework as “shared” courses, allowing the student to complete both degrees more quickly.
These degrees are designed to meet the needs of students pursuing careers in a variety of areas. Students completing the 4+1 program are well-positioned for application into a PhD or law program or enter the work force in a variety of fields. Each student may select a major and minor field to study in depth under the advisement of world-class faculty. Specializations include International, Comparative, and American Politics. A course of study can be individualized to each student in the program.
To be eligible for admission to the 4+1 program, a student must:
• be a declared Political Science BA or BS or Global Studies BA student at the time of application
• have accumulated at least 75 hours toward the undergraduate degree at the time of application, 90 hours are needed to begin the program
• have completed (or be in the process of completing in spring) an in-person, 3-credit, 400-level POS course. Internship credits, independent study, and Junior Fellow courses are not eligible.
• have a minimum 3.6 cumulative GPA at the time of application. (Cumulative GPA earned at ASU, excluding transfer credits.)
• be on track to graduate with the undergraduate degree two semesters after being accepted into the program (one calendar year later than the acceptance date.)
• identify a faculty mentor in the School of Politics and Global Studies to serve as a 4+1 advisor. Please see list of eligible faculty members here. 4+1 mentors must be tenured or tenure-track faculty in the School of Politics and Global Studies. Please verify on our School website that mentors are Professors, Associate Professors, or Assistant Professors. Lecturers, Instructors, Faculty Associates, and faculty from other units are not eligible to serve in this role.
•complete an application packet and submit all materials by the April 1st deadline.
The most successful applications will have completed (or be in the process of completing during the semester of application) POS 401 or SGS 401, Political Statistics.
Students who do not meet these criteria may still apply to the M.A. in Political Science here pending graduation with a BA or BS degree.
Please visit our application page for more information on how to apply to the 4+1 program in Political Science.
The deadline for submission of all application materials is April 1.