Sign In / Sign Out
Navigation for Entire University
- ASU Home
- My ASU
- Colleges and Schools
- Map and Locations
Thank you for your interest in the 4+1 Accelerated M.A. Program in Political Science at Arizona State University. The application deadline is April 1st of the year prior to participation. Please contact Jenna Roelle, Graduate Coordinator, with any questions.
Applicants will be notified by email before the end of the spring semester of their admission status. Admitted students must submit a Graduate College application before June 15th and pay the application fee.
Electronic application packet should be sent in one email and include four attached documents:
1.) Cover page. Please include:
2.) Copy of unofficial transcript
3.) Writing sample (2-5 pages)
4.) Personal statement (2-5 pages.) Within this statement, identify a POS/GS faculty member that will serve as the 4+1 advisor. Be sure to request this of the faculty member before identifying them.
In addition: Three letters of recommendation should be sent directly to Jenna.Roelle@asu.edu from the letter writer in an attached Word or PDF document by April 1. Please list applicants name and “4+1 LOR” in the subject line
Two letters must from faculty members or teachers in any discipline. One letter should be from the faculty in the School of Politics and Global Studies that has agreed to serve as the student's mentor. Please ensure the faculty is eligible to serve in this role.
To be eligible for admission to the 4+1 program, a student must:
• be a declared Political Science BA or BS or Global Studies BS student at the time of application
• have accumulated at least 75 hours toward the undergraduate degree at the time of application, and 90 hours completed in order to be eligible to begin the program.
• have completed a 3-credit, in-person, 400-level Political Science or Global Studies course.
• have at least a 3.6 cumulative GPA at the time of application
• be on track to graduate with the undergraduate degree two semesters after being accepted into the program (one calendar year later than the acceptance date.)
• identify a faculty mentor in the School of Politics and Global Studies to serve as the 4+1 advisor. Only tenured or tenure-track faculty in the School of Politics and Global Studies are eligible to serve as mentors.
• complete an application packet and submit all materials by the April 1st deadline to Jenna.Roelle@asu.edu
Students who do not meet these criteria may still apply to the M.A. in Political Science here pending graduation with a BA or BS degree.
Important information about the 4+1 program:
• This program is designed to be completed in five years total. Students must complete their undergraduate degree within one year after acceptance to this program. Students not able to complete the undergraduate portion of the degree within four years and the M.A. degree in one year will not be allowed to remain in the graduate portion of the program.
• Some scholarships and awards may be affected by admission into the 4+1 program, as this changes a student status from undergraduate to graduate. Students are advised to check with the specifications of their awards with the Financial Assistance Office to see if this will affect compensation packages.
• Students admitted into the 4+1 program are not entitled to teaching assistantships, health insurance, or other graduate awards.
• Students may apply for the PhD program within the School of Politics and Global Studies after completion of the 4+1 program.
• Students admitted to the program may be required to attend meetings with the Director of Graduate Studies and/or the designated faculty mentor.
• Students may be dismissed from the graduate portion of the degree for failure to make successful progress in graduate coursework.